One in three small businesses expects to ditch their desk phones by 2020


As unified communications (UC) develops, it is likely to become more and more mobile-based; yet according to recent survey figures from communication software provider BroadSoft, one in three small businesses expects to have mobile-only UCaaS solutions in place by 2020.

The study, which polled 129 service providers, found 42% of those polled said more than half of UC interactions – across all business sizes – will be mobile based. Similarly, more than four in five (82%) expect OTT messaging and collaboration software to be the mainstay of communication by 2020, with the remaining 18% saying email will still be the primary messaging tool.

Major growth in cloud-based unified comms expected across all industry sizes. One in 10 small businesses – defined in the study at those with fewer than 100 employees – are currently using cloud UC, a number that is expected to rise to almost half (48%) by 2020. Large enterprises polled, defined as those with more than 1000 employees, currently have 6% using cloud-based tools, a number which will rise to 20% in five years, while midmarket businesses in between are at 5% and 37% penetration respectively.

“Enterprise UCaaS is proving disruptive due to its superior value proposition,” said Taher Behbehani, BroadSoft chief marketing officer. “Importantly, this opportunity is not lost on service providers and industry leaders at 90% of survey respondents rate UCaaS/hosted PBX as their preferred technology solution strategy.”

According to a previous study published this year by Synergy Research, while more traditional standalone apps, such as video conferencing and web conferencing SaaS from the likes of Citrix, Cisco, and Microsoft, represents two thirds of the UCaaS market, business suites, from companies such as RingCentral, Vonage, and ShoreTel, are growing at a faster rate. in hearing industry leaders discuss subjects like this and sharing their use-cases? Attend the co-located IoT Tech Expo, Blockchain Expo, AI & Big Data Expo and Cyber Security & Cloud Expo World Series with upcoming events in Silicon Valley, London and Amsterdam and explore the future of enterprise technology.

Related Stories

Leave a comment


This will only be used to quickly provide signup information and will not allow us to post to your account or appear on your timeline.

1 Jun 2016, 12:40 p.m.

Hey James! Thanks for sharing this great piece of statistics. In the emerging competitive global business space, clients, partners, employees, customers often experience communication hassles that rotates around disconnected devices, tools and applications. With unified communications it is now possible to do messaging, manage calendars, make conference calls reliably all in-one place and from anywhere across the globe. This post further elaborates unified communication characteristics.