Why wearables need to be seen as the latest wave of enterprise lifecycle technology

Why wearables need to be seen as the latest wave of enterprise lifecycle technology
As Tangoe MMS’s SVP of Strategy, Chris is responsible for managing the organization’s strategic planning, thought leadership initiatives, and overall customer success. With more than 30 years of professional technology experience, Chris leads Tangoe’s MMS efforts in managing its business objectives, goals, and analytics to more closely align the enterprise’s core competencies to what the global market desires. Chris graduated from Indiana University with degrees in both journalism and political science before continuing his education at Georgia State University. After graduating with an MBA in Technology, he began working for AT&T and Cisco before joining MOBI in 2015. While at MOBI, Chris served in a critical analyst relations function, which remains pivotal in his current role at Tangoe MMS. Each day, Chris brings the innovation, creativity, and leadership displayed throughout his three-decade career to Tangoe MMS. He is an advocate for technology and is passionate about educating enterprises on how MMS and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) models can create tremendous global value.

With recent announcements and new lifecycle technology launches, wearables are the latest asset to make a push at the enterprise level. By 2020, experts believe there could be as many as 830 million wearable devices in use worldwide.

Today’s wearable technology market is growing annually by more than 15%—at this rate, the market’s value will exceed $50 billion in less than five years. As more companies embrace smartwatches and wearable lifecycle technology, look for mobile traffic generated by these assets to increase by more than 2,200% (no, that’s not a typo!). What does this mean for your workplace?

Wearable lifecycle technology at work…

While businesses are just beginning to integrate these devices into existing Enterprise Technology Management (ETM) programs, most employees are already well-acquainted with wearables. For years, consumers have used and benefitted from smartwatches, Fitbits, and a handful of other on-the-move devices. No wonder 93% of decision-makers say their organisation is actively exploring this lifecycle technology.

In the current ETM environment, executives are constantly seeking technologies and assets that give their business an edge over the competition. In fact, 81% of current CIOs believe wearable lifecycle technology could be mobility’s next competitive advantage—some are already using these tools to enhance productivity and ensure employee success.

While it’s early, initial adopters seem to be leveraging wearable lifecycle technology to improve enterprise efficiency, IT security, employee time management and real-time communications. As a direct result of these innovations, 76% of these organisations have already reported substantial improvements to ETM and overall business performance.

However, not every organisation is ready for wearable device disruption just yet.

… yet consider these lifecycle technology challenges

For most IT teams, wearables have been nothing more than an afterthought to this point. In fact, 66% of companies lack a formal written policy capable of managing wearable lifecycle technology. That means most businesses don’t have an answer for any potential security breaches, additional end-user support needs or decreases in network bandwidth that could result from adopting these assets.

Additionally, only 8% of businesses that use wearable devices believe they’re prepared and able to gain actionable insights from employee- or customer-generated data—the other 92% can do little more than cross their fingers and make educated guesses. And then there’s this fact: 30% of wearable lifecycle technology implementation efforts lack a truly impactful business application, even if the technology’s rolled out and successfully adopted.

Read more: How Tangoe has taken the acquisition of MOBI and is revamping its mobility roadmap

https://www.iottechexpo.com/northamerica/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/all-events-dark-text.pngInterested in hearing industry leaders discuss subjects like this and sharing their use-cases? Attend the co-located IoT Tech Expo, Blockchain Expo, AI & Big Data Expo and Cyber Security & Cloud Expo World Series with upcoming events in Silicon Valley, London and Amsterdam and explore the future of enterprise technology.

View Comments
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *